My name’s Elly Griffiths, except it’s not really.
“My real name is Domenica de Rosa and I’ve written four books under that name. I was born in London in 1963 and my family moved to Brighton when I was five. I loved Brighton and still do – the town, the surrounding countryside and, most of all, the sea. I went to local state schools and wrote my first book when I was a 11, a murder mystery set in Rottingdean, near the village where I still live. At secondary school I used to write episodes of Starsky and Hutch (early fan fiction) and very much enjoyed making my readers cry.
“I did all the right things to become a writer: I read English at King’s College London and, after graduating, worked in a library, for a magazine and then as a publicity assistant at HarperCollins. I loved working in publishing and eventually became Editorial Director for children’s books at HarperCollins. All this completely put me off writing and it wasn’t until I was on maternity leave in 1998 that I wrote what would become my first published novel, The Italian Quarter.
“Three other books followed, all about Italy, families and identity. By now we had two children and my husband Andy had just given up his city job to become an archaeologist. We were on holiday in Norfolk, walking across Titchwell Marsh, when Andy mentioned that prehistoric man had thought that marshland was sacred. Because it’s neither land nor sea, but something in-between, they saw it as a kind of bridge to the afterlife. Neither land nor sea, neither life nor death. As he said these words the entire plot of The Crossing Places appeared, full formed, in my head and, walking towards me out of the mist, I saw Dr Ruth Galloway. I didn’t think that this new book was significantly different from my ‘Italy’ books but, when she read it, my agent said, ‘This is crime. You need a crime name.’
“And that’s how I became Elly Griffiths.”
Dr. Ruth Galloway Series in Order
- The Crossing Places (2009) ISBN 9781786481863
- The Janus Stone (2010) ISBN 9781786482129
- The House at Sea’s End (2011) ISBN 9781786482136
- A Room Full of Bones (2011) – awaiting reprint
- A Dying Fall (2012) ISBN 9781786482150
- The Outcast Dead (2014) ISBN 9781786482167
- The Ghost Fields (2015) ISBN 9781786482174
- The Woman in Blue (2016) ISBN 9781848663374
- The Chalk Pit (2017) ISBN 9781784296629
- The Dark Angel (2018) ISBN 9781784296667
- The Stone Circle (2019) ISBN 9781786487315
- The Lantern Men (2020) ISBN 9781787477551
- The Night Hawks (2021) ISBN 9781787477841
- The Locked Room (2022) ISBN 9781529409673